WHAT`S ON MY BOOKSHELF - March/April

Over the last couple of months I have bounced between varying genre`s of both fiction and non-fiction. From Fantasy to fable-like literature. Essentially whatever mood I have been in on that particular day. I usually keep a stable of books on hand to satisfy my curiosity, generally reading 2-3 books at a time.

Last month I was introduced to the work of, Paulo Coelho. The Alchemist is a beautiful tale of Santiago, a young Shepard who longs to travel and see the world as he embarks on a journey of self discovery and a search for his personal treasure. There are many metaphors to be found in this magical story, and I have no doubt that each of us can relate to his discoveries along the way.
"My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky." Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams." - The Alchemist


The Small Big: small changes that spark big influence. is a collection of research from the fields of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics that explore the manners in which companies, government department`s, and individuals, are able to influence people to get desired results by making minutia changes to how they use language or terminology in something so simple as a single sentence in a letter to constituents. If you are interested in understanding how you can better influence others, or your own life, this is an interesting read, and may have you question your verbal or written interactions from here on out.


So, it has been a number of years since I had a true sales job. I don`t miss it. It is perhaps the most stressful job I have ever had. The constant strive to meet a financial goal in sales can be nothing short of heart attack inducing. In, Stop Acting Like a Seller and Start Thinking Like a Buyer, authors Jerry Acuff and Wally Wood hit the nail on the head when it comes to making consistent sales - trust! The big take home for me was to do as the title suggests, think like the buyer. Is this product right for you? No? Then you don`t want it. After years of trying to convince a client or customer to make a purchase at all costs, it was refreshing to here the viewpoint of if it`s not right for the customer, then tell them so. When you do that, you build trust. At some point that same customer may realize, Hey, I do need that X,Y,Z, now. I remember that one sales guy who didn`t push me into a sale. I`m going to go see him. He was trust worthy. I really understated and over simplified the book there, but I recommend it to anyone in sales looking for a fresh viewpoint.


Comment down below to tell me what your reading right now, and don`t forget to Subscribe to the blog to keep up with the happenings. Check your Spam for the subscribe link after applying as it sometimes goes directly there.

Until next time, be well, be merry, and most of all, be good. :)




Comments